13 – 15 September 2017, Kiel
We were grateful to welcome so many participants to YOUMARES 8 at the University of Kiel. We hope that all of you enjoyed interesting talks, informative and helpful workshops and got to know a lot of other nice people. YOUMARES 8 was the biggest edition of our early career scientist community so far:
180 participants – 15 sessions – 94 talks – 26 posters
YOUMARES 8 was preceded by the annual meeting of the German Society of Marine Research (DGM) and the DGM-Forum. The icebreaker, which was as usual a shared event between the participants of the DGM-Forum and the participants of the YOUMARES, was held in the east shore buildings of the GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research. The last two days were full of scientific sessions, workshops, a poster session and keynote talks. For the latter, we welcomed Prof Dr Mojib Latif (GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research, Kiel) who introduced “The role of the oceans in climate change” and Dr Claudia Hanfland (Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar an Marine Research, Bremerhaven) who gave a talk on “Career planning – Advice from the Cheshire Cat”.
Awards! Awards! Awards!
As a long time supporter, SPRINGER sponsored awards for the three best poster and oral presentations:
- Clea van de Ven & Titus Rombouts – A deep-sea sponge loop? Tracing carbon and nitrogen from DOM to sponges and detritivores
- Mildred Johnson & Laura Hennings – The effect of elevated and fluctuating pCO2 concentrations on the growth of calcifying marine epibionts
- Enrico Armelloni – Embryonic ontogeny of upper beak in Octopus vulgaris
- Nora-Charlotte Pauli – Fouling and degradation of plastic bags – an in situ experiment
- Sara Doolittle-Llanos – Plastic as a vector for marine invasive species in the Galapagos archipelago, Ecuador
- Maha Cziesielski – Investigating transcriptome and proteome heat stress response of the cnidarian model organism Exaiptasia pallida
Collection of Contributions
You can download the complete abstract compilation here.
Next year there will be a YOUMARES again! Between September 11th and 14th 2018 the YOUMARES 9 will take place in Oldenburg.
YOUMARES is the only conference and network meeting, that provides a platform and access to the stage of science for young marine scientists and engineers from undergraduate level. And boosts the interaction between scientific youngsters and seniors.