12.-14. SEPTEMBER 2012, LÜBECK
Between Space and the seafloor – Aqua vita est
YOUMARES 3 was organized in close cooperation with EMB Fraunhofer Research Institution for Marine Biotechnology and its local head Prof. Dr. Charli Kruse. The Institute concentrates on fields of cellular technology, aquatic biotechnology and cell-based medical techniques.
We have been looking hard for a decent venue to host this special event and WE HAVE FOUND IT!
The Hanseatic City of Luebeck is, situated at the river Trave, Germany’s gate to the Baltic. The Brick Stone Gothic gives the Queen of the Hanse a unique flair of maritime modernity with historical memory. Niederegger Marzipan is probably as well known as Thomas Mann’s first novel “Buddenbrooks”.
In 2012 Luebeck is celebrating having been elected as the German “City of Science”. http://www.hanse-trifft-humboldt.de (only in German)
The conference venue was at “Die Gemeinnützige” in down-town Lübeck and we were happy to welcome 170 participants to this event and listen to 10 sessions and various workshops.
YOUMARES 3 Sessions:
- Aliens from inner space: Where do they come from, what do they do an how can we stop them?
- Between Sea and Anthroposphere: Marine socio-economics in an era of global change
- Environmental changes in the pelagic: consequences and acclimatization strategies – from plankton to fish
- Integrated Aquaculture – Polyculture of plants, invertebrates and finfish
- Ocean Modelling: Theory & Concepts
- Physical Oceanography – Between Measuring and Modelling
- Reefs from shallow to deep – environmental constraints and perspective
- The aquatic climate archive: tracking the rise and fall of ancient civilizations.
- Lessons from the past, for the present and the future?
- Water resources in coastal areas – scarcity and management implications